Whether you are crossing streams on your favourite trail or running through snow and rain, you need a shoe that is up to the job of keeping your feet dry while being comfortable and dealing with the terrain. Enter the Nike Pegasus Trail GTX shoe which is designed for exactly that. Let’s take a look at this waterproof trail shoe and how it stands up to the job in our Nike Pegasus Trail GTX review.
What Makes the Nike Pegasus GTX Waterproof?
If you know your waterproof trail shoes then you will know that a shoe with the letters GTX after the name, refers to GORE-TEX – the material that makes a shoe waterproof. The GORE-TEX upper of the Nike Pegasus Trail GTX helps your feet stay dry but also works hard to give you the comfortable feel that you get from the normal Pegasus Trail shoe. For those rainy days, it’s the perfect companion.
What to love….
- When it comes to being waterproof, the Nike Pegasus Trail GTX are an outstanding choice
- They work really well on road to trail – great if you have to travel by road to get to the traIl
- They offer a lively ride – you will cover ground with a spring in your step
- They feel lighter than what they are and are very comfortable
- They have great traction and grip
- They are great for autumn and winter
- They do run true to size although we always go a half size up in all Nike shoes but that’s a personal preference
- They are durable – you will get your money’s worth out of them
What you may not love…
Come on… there has to be a section on what’s not great about them. After all, has anyone found the perfect shoe yet?
- Let’s face it, they are waterproof – they aren’t designed to be breathable. Wear them in the summer and you will get hot feet!
- While lighter than what they feel, you may find them bulky
- Buy the lighter colours and they are going to get dirty
So if you are looking to add to your collection for the autumn / winter wet season then a waterproof shoe is a good choice. Not so great in the hot, dry season when you will question your life choices!
A Choice of Colours
Available in a variety of colours, you don’t have to just stick with black like some GTX models. As with all Nike models, there are some funky colours to choose from (even if they will end up brown from the mud). Don’t make the mistake of choosing a light colour and hoping they will stay like that – even a waterproof shoe has its limits.
Features of the Nike Pegasus Trail GTX
Less rubber along the outsole which creates a smooth transition from road to trail.
Rubber outsole around front of shoe for extra durability.
Generative traction pattern combined with rubber in the forefoot provides extra grip for technical trails with a smooth ride for the road.
The shoe also features a gaitor on the collar of the heel to prevent debris and water getting in.
Nike React technology – a lightweight yet durable foam that offers a smooth and responsive ride.
If you are looking for a great all round, comfortable trail shoe that will keep your feet dry in wet conditions then the Nike Pegasus Trail GTX waterproof running shoe is a great choice. With Nike’s innovative technology and reputation, it’s a serious contender for best waterproof trail shoe and offers many of the benefits that Nike have built their running shoe reputation on. If you are ready to invest in a pair, you will find them at the below link.
Please bear in mind, we may get paid a small commission if you choose to purchase these shoes but we only recommend shoes that we have worn and reviewed ourselves so we truly believe in what we are saying.