The Hoka Speedgoat 5 is a trail running shoe that is designed for long distances and challenging terrain. Referred to as a ‘workhorse of shoe’, it is the fifth iteration of the Speedgoat series, named after ultra runner, Karl (Speedgoat) Meltzer. This latest model of trail shoe builds on the success of its predecessors and still tops the list of favourite all-round shoe by many runners and reviewers.
I am not going to beat around the bush here. I have tried many trail shoes, all have their pros and cons and all have served me well in various races/training runs, etc. but the Speedgoat feels like where my feet should be when I am putting in the long miles. That said, I was also a massive fan of the Tecton X – while some doubt that the carbon plate offers anything off-road, I can assure you that they do. That said, they aren’t a shoe I would wear for more than half marathon distance.
I ordered my Hoka Speedgoat 5 in a wide as I have wider feet and they were a game changer.
Updated 02/11/23 – let’s talk about their road-to-trail qualities!
The Speedgoat 5 features a number of improvements over the previous models, including a lighter midsole, a more flexible upper, and a more aggressive outsole. Less weight, more traction!!! They are light. I convinced my other half to order a pair and his first comment was “These are light”.
Anyhow, enough of me rambling on, let’s take a look in greater detail at this shoe and whether it is the right choice for you in our Hoka Speedgoat 5 review:
The Hoka Speedgoat 5 is a great trail running shoe for a variety of terrain, including:
- Technical trails: The Speedgoat 5 has a deep lug pattern that provides excellent traction on technical trails, such as those with rocks, roots, and mud. On downhill rocky trails, it feels like the shoe has your back! No slips or tentative steps – just a fly down the hill.
- Long runs: The Speedgoat 5 is a comfortable and durable shoe that is well-suited for long runs. It does just feel the same throughout the run and offers a great level of comfort and support.
- Ultramarathons: The Speedgoat 5 is a popular choice for ultramarathon runners due to its comfort, durability, and traction.
- Hiking: Not only is this shoe billed as a great running shoe, for the same reasons as it’s a popular running shoe, it is also a popular hiking shoe. I recently finished a run half a mile from home and walked the rest of the way thinking how comfortable they felt.
- Road to trail: In an update to our original review, we had to add something about this. They are superb on the road as we experienced when we ended up doing 8 miles of a 12 mile trail run on the road recently. Don’t ask how – not the greatest plan and in some trail shoes, this would have been uncomfortable but the Speedgoats handled it really well.
While the Hoka Speedgoat 5 is not as fast, or as breathable as some other trail running shoes, it is extremely comfortable and provides great traction. Not surprising that it is favored by many for longer distances.
Let’s take a look at the makeup of this popular trail running shoe:
- Weight: 290 g (men’s) / 240 g (women’s)
- Drop: 4 mm
- Cushioning: Moderate
- Support: Moderate
- Terrain: Trail
Features of the Hoka Speedgoat 5
- Double layer jacquard engineered mesh
- Protective toe rand
- Late stage MetaRocker™
- Vibram® Megagrip with Traction Lug
- Lay-flat gusseted tongue
- Bolstered heel collar
- Molded EVA sockliner
- Compression-molded EVA foam midsole
- 5mm lugs
- 34% recycled polyester upper mesh
- Laces with 70% recycled nylon and 30% recycled polyester
- 100% Recycled polyester sockliner top cloth
The midsole of the Hoka Speedgoat 5 is made of a new foam compound called Profly. Profly is a lightweight foam that is designed to provide a soft and comfortable ride while also being responsive and durable. The midsole also has a high stack height, which provides a lot of cushioning and protection from the elements.
The Profly midsole is made up of two different foams: a softer foam for the forefoot and a firmer foam for the heel. This combination of foams provides a smooth and comfortable ride, while also providing good support and protection.
The midsole is also designed to be responsive, which means that it returns energy to the runner. This helps to improve efficiency and speed. When running on tarmac, it serves just as well as some of the road shoes that we own.
The upper of the Hoka Speedgoat 5 is made of a breathable and flexible mesh. The mesh is designed to allow the foot to move naturally and to provide a comfortable fit. The upper also has a secure lockdown system that helps to prevent the foot from slipping inside the shoe.
The upper is made of a single piece of mesh, which helps to improve the fit and comfort of the shoe. The mesh is also treated with a water-resistant coating, which helps to keep the feet dry in wet conditions.
The upper has a number of features that help to improve the fit and comfort of the shoe, including:
- A gusseted tongue that helps to keep debris out of the shoe
- A heel counter that helps to stabilize the heel
- A padded collar that helps to protect the Achilles tendon
The outsole of the Hoka Speedgoat 5 is made of Vibram Megagrip rubber. Vibram Megagrip is a high-performance rubber that is known for its excellent traction. The outsole of the Speedgoat 5 has a deep lug pattern that provides even more traction on challenging terrain.
The outsole is also designed to be durable, which helps to extend the life of the shoe.
Overall, the Hoka Speedgoat 5 is an excellent trail running shoe that is well-suited for long distances and challenging terrain. It is a great choice for runners who are looking for a shoe that provides a smooth ride, a secure fit, and excellent traction.
The Hoka Speedgoat 5 is a trail running shoe that is designed for long distances and challenging terrain. It is the fifth iteration of the Speedgoat series, and it builds on the success of its predecessors. The Speedgoat 5 features a number of improvements over the previous models, including a lighter midsole, a more flexible upper, and a more aggressive outsole.
Disclaimer: Our posts may contain affiliate links. We may earn commissions if you shop through the links on this page although we only ever recommend products that we genuinely believe will enhance your experience.
Benefits of this Trail Running Shoe
- Comfortable: The Speedgoat 5 has a comfortable and supportive upper that is made of a breathable and flexible mesh. The upper also has a secure lockdown system that helps to prevent the foot from slipping inside the shoe.
- Durable: The Speedgoat 5 is made of durable materials that are designed to withstand the rigors of trail running. The outsole is made of Vibram Megagrip rubber, which is known for its excellent traction.
- Cushioned: The Speedgoat 5 has a cushioned midsole that provides a smooth and comfortable ride. The midsole is also designed to provide good support and protection. It really does make a difference when you are running from road to trail and back again. These shoes handle the road just as well as any road shoe in our opinion.
- Responsive: The Speedgoat 5 is a responsive shoe that returns energy to the runner. This helps to improve efficiency and speed.
- Versatile: The Speedgoat 5 is a versatile shoe that is well-suited for a variety of terrain, including technical trails, long runs, and ultramarathons.
Pros and cons
- Lighter midsole
- More flexible upper
- More aggressive outsole
- Excellent traction
- Secure fit
- Comfortable ride
- Expensive – if you sign up to Hoka’s newsletter, this will get you 10% off
- Not as fast as some other trail running shoes – the Hoka Tecton certainly zip across the ground
- Not as breathable as some other trail running shoes – this is not the view of everyone and has not ever been a problem for me.
Speedgoat 5 Sizing
All the reviews suggest that you don’t need to go up a size as this shoe runs true to size however, we actually prefer to go up a size in Hoka – especially since a longer second toe can still take some pounding. the shoe does have a lockdown feature that keeps your feet in place though, Even so, if in doubt, go up a half size maybe. If you have wide feet, get the wide.
Hoka Speedgoat 5 colours
The Hoka Speedgoat 5 is available in 16 colours for men and 17 colours for women. You will also find it in a regular D fit and width E for wider feet for men and B width and D width for wider feet for women. There is also a waterproof version available featuring the GORE-TEX to keep the water and debris out of the shoe when facing wet and muddy terrain.
We thought we would share our experience when it comes to colours – after approx 100 miles in these shoes, they look like this.
The Hoka Speedgoat 5 is an excellent trail running shoe that is well-suited for long distances and challenging terrain. It is a great choice for runners who are looking for a shoe that provides a smooth ride, a secure fit, and excellent traction. It is no secret that it gets our vote and currently tops our list of favourites. If you were going to buy just one pair of trail shoes for all scenarios, we don’t think you will be disappointed in a pair of Speedgoats.